Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Posted Image

Welcome to TheWebMachine Networks AWS Support Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. By registering on the forum, you will also receive exclusive emails regarding new updates and promotions (the terms of which are covered by our unique Total Privacy Policy). You must be registered in order to submit Customer Support Requests!

Register now!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Recording in MP3
Topic Started: May 5 2016, 02:29 PM (591 Views)
altendorfme

Even with allowing elasticity in the size of EBS, there is a limitation of space that could improve if the recordings were saved to MP3 instead of WAV.
By the rules of Brazil we are obliged to keep all content links for up to 1 year. We are currently storing 125GB per month of recording (to MP3 are 3~4GB).
Another advantage would be to mount the unit spoon directly on a S3 bucket with a very low cost.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheWebMachine
Member Avatar
Administrator
The reason why Asterisk doesn't use MP3 is due to the much larger amount of compute time and memory needed to work with a compressed format. In order to maintain call integrity, as many functions as possible need to be performed in real time. If you start bogging down the vCPUs with having to compress everything, you risk compromising call quality.

My advice would be to use a utility like WinSCP to connect to your instances and pull down a copy of the files to compress and/or archive offline in order to meet your retention policy without having to pay so much for the extra storage.

Incorporating S3 storage as spool would preclude some instance types for some users. You are welcome to perform this yourself, as our SmartUpgrade spool migration utility will let you migrate to any storage device that is positioned at a standard /dev/ namespace.

Regards,
Mike

Thank you for choosing AWS FreePBX!

If you like our product, please help us let others know by leaving a review on the AWS Marketplace!

We now have ANNUAL subscriptions available! An Annual Subscription gives you ONE MONTH FREE versus paying hourly.
Visit your AWS Subscriptions page to purchase annual subscription(s) for your instance(s) and start saving today!

altendorfme

Yes, I understand that consumption would be higher, but if I blame myself for having server with more CPU to ensure quality as would enable it?

TheWebMachine
Member Avatar
Administrator
This page sheds some more light on your type of situation and a script you may be able to use to get around your problem.

http://community.freepbx.org/t/converting-recorded-wav-calls-to-mp3/32426

It would appear you can run this type of script on a per call basis after each call ends or as a cron job that runs daily while no calls are taking place. I hope this helps! Please let us know how it works out for you.

Regards,
Mike

If you like our product, please help us let others know by leaving a review on the AWS Marketplace!

We now have ANNUAL subscriptions available! An Annual Subscription gives you ONE MONTH FREE versus paying hourly.
Visit your AWS Subscriptions page to purchase annual subscription(s) for your instance(s) and start saving today!

TheWebMachine
Member Avatar
Administrator
I have taken some time to further research using an S3 bucket as the spool directory, in case any one else was considering this idea. After careful consideration and review, I have determined that this will NOT work as a simple spool mounted volume. S3 only supports full file uploads and downloads from the bucket. If you alter a single byte in the file, the entire thing has to be uploaded again. This would mean call recordings would be constantly reuploading as they are appended in real time. This would either crash the connection between EC2 and S3 or overload the instance file buffers and cause a DoS style failure in short order.

In summary, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE S3 AS A SPOOL VOLUME! However, you could attach an S3 bucket using S3fs and then use a cron script to upload the files to the bucket in batches during off-peak hours, deleting them from spool to save space.

I hope this additional information helps. I used some information from this article, in addition to some lab testing, to arrive at my conclusion: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10801158/how-stable-is-s3fs-to-mount-an-amazon-s3-bucket-as-a-local-directory

Regards,
Mike

« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FreePBX® is a Registered Trademark of Sangoma Technologies and is used with permission.
TheWebMachine Networks is a fully certified Sangoma partner.